Τρίτη 11 Οκτωβρίου 2011

Bach - Cantata BWV 82 - Ich habe genug



One of my favourite cantatas !

Introduction

Welcome to the World of Recorded Bach Cantatas

The 209 existing Bach Cantatas* constitute an enormously rich musical world. They have been recorded by various groups in various styles, starting in the mid 1940's, and they are continuing to be recorded. In the centre of the recorded Bach Cantatas stand five complete cycles. Three of them are already completed and two are still on their way. The Complete cycles are by - Helmuth Rilling on Hänssler (1969-1985), Nikolaus Harnoncourt & Gustav Leonhardt on Teldec (1971-1989), and Pieter Jan Leusink on Brilliant Classics (1999-2000). The two on their way are by Ton Koopman on Erato and later Antoine Marchand (started in 1994) and Masaaki Suzuki on BIS (started in 1995). John Eliot Gardiner recorded all the sacred cantatas during his transcendental Pilgrimage in year 2000, but only about 1/5 of them were printed by Archiv. After a long delay, at the beginning of 2005 the whole project started to be released in 2-CD sets on the Soli Deo Gloria label. Karl Richter recorded 75 of the cantatas (1958-1975), Fritz Werner recorded about sixty from late 1950's to early 1970's (all of them were released by Erato in late 2004 on 2 x 10-CD box sets) and Philippe Herreweghe recorded more than 20 (starting in 1987 and still going strong). Four of the Thomaskantors in the post second world war years - Günther Ramin, Kurt Thomas, Erhard Mauersberger and Hans-Joachim Rotzsch - recorded many of the cantatas in the tradition of the famous Kantor, who served at the same Church between 1723 and 1750. The great and revolutionary conductor Hermann Scherchen recorded about dozen (1952-1964), and Helmut Winschermann about the same (1968-1972). The German label Cantate released during the 1960's more than 20 LP's of Bach Cantatas by various skilful German conductors, but most of them have never been printed in CD form. These are some of the 'Heroes' in the field of recorded Bach Cantatas. And there are many many more. So, the world of recorded Bach Cantatas is hugely rich and varied. Every conductor and his forces (orchestras, choirs, vocal and instrumental soloists) uncover new characteristics, aspects, facets and layers of this endless world.

http://www.bach-cantatas.com/Intro.htm

Bach - Cantata BWV 82 - Ich habe genug
The Purification of the Blessed Virgin Mary (The Presentation of Christ in the Temple).

Solo Cantata (for Bass) for the Feast of Purification of Mary
Readings: Epistle: Malachi 3: 1-4; Gospel: Luke 2: 22-32
Composed : Leipzig, 1727

Text in English :

1. Aria (B)

I have now enough,
I have now my Savior, the hope of the faithful
Within my desiring embrace now enfolded;
I have now enough!

    On him have I gazed,
    My faith now hath Jesus impressed on my heart;
    I would now, today yet, with gladness
    Make hence my departure.

2. Recit. (B)

I have now enough.
My hope is this alone,
That Jesus might belong to me and I to him.
In faith I hold to him,
For I, too, see with Simeon
The gladness of that life beyond.
Let us in this man's burden join!
Ah! Would that from the bondage of my body
The Lord might free me.
Ah! My departure, were it here,
With joy I'd say to thee, O world:
I have now enough.

3. Aria (B)

Slumber now, ye eyes so weary,
Fall in soft and calm repose!

    World, I dwell no longer here,
    Since I have no share in thee
    Which my soul could offer comfort.
    Here I must with sorrow reckon,
    But yet, there, there I shall witness
    Sweet repose and quiet rest.

4. Recit. (B)

My God! When comes that blessed "Now!"
When I in peace shall walk forever
Both in the sand of earth's own coolness
And there within thy bosom rest?
My parting is achieved,
O world, good night!

5. Aria (B)

Rejoicing do I greet my death,
Ah, would that it had come already.

    I'll escape then all the woe
    Which doth here in the world confine me.



Text in German :

1. Aria B
Oboe, Violino I/II, Viola, Continuo          

Ich habe genug,
Ich habe den Heiland, das Hoffen der Frommen,
Auf meine begierigen Arme genommen;
Ich habe genug!
    Ich hab ihn erblickt,
    Mein Glaube hat Jesum ans Herze gedrückt;
    Nun wünsch ich, noch heute mit Freuden
    Von hinnen zu scheiden.

2. Recitativo B
Continuo          

Ich habe genug.
Mein Trost ist nur allein,
Dass Jesus mein und ich sein eigen möchte sein.
Im Glauben halt ich ihn,
Da seh ich auch mit Simeon
Die Freude jenes Lebens schon.
Lasst uns mit diesem Manne ziehn!
Ach! möchte mich von meines Leibes Ketten
Der Herr erretten;
Ach! wäre doch mein Abschied hier,
Mit Freuden sagt ich, Welt, zu dir:
Ich habe genug.

3. Aria B
Violino I/II, Viola, Continuo          

Schlummert ein, ihr matten Augen,
Fallet sanft und selig zu!
    Welt, ich bleibe nicht mehr hier,
    Hab ich doch kein Teil an dir,
    Das der Seele könnte taugen.
    Hier muss ich das Elend bauen,
    Aber dort, dort werd ich schauen
    Süßen Friede, stille Ruh.

4. Recitativo B
Organo          

Mein Gott! wenn kömmt das schöne: Nun!
Da ich im Friede fahren werde
Und in dem Sande kühler Erde
Und dort bei dir im Schoße ruhn?
Der Abschied ist gemacht,
Welt, gute Nacht!

5. Aria B
Oboe, Violino I/II, Viola, Continuo          

Ich freue mich auf meinen Tod,
Ach, hätt er sich schon eingefunden.
    Da entkomm ich aller Not,
    Die mich noch auf der Welt gebunden

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια: